McLean's Mansion History

McLean's Mansion is a two-hectare property situated at 387 Manchester St in Christchurch, New Zealand. The Mansion was initially called Holly Lea, but later became known as McLean's Mansion after its first owner, Allan McLean. It has 53 rooms and is the largest wooden residence in New Zealand. The Mansion, designed by Robert England, is a fusion of Jacobean architecture and Victorian features. Built between April 1899 and September 1900, the house has Category 1 heritage status. It is being purchased by the McLean’s Mansion Charitable Trust who will restore it and re-open it for a variety of purposes, including an art gallery and events centre.

McLean's Mansion Charitable Trust
P O Box 8921, Riccarton Christchurch 8011

© 2020 McLean's Mansion Charitable Trust

  • Facebook Social Icon